Look to the West for Moscow

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Making Strides

We’re establishing our routines. It’s going well. We’re back to giving Reese naps--even if for 1 hour. We find she’s doing a bit better at bedtime if she’s had a little rest. Reese’s rash is getting better. The doctor believes she’s not allergic to our dog, but we’ll still be going to an allergist for testing. It still seems like she’s allergic to something (or many things). Sensitive to the sun, too. She’s our sensitive girl. The doc says she has eczema and to keep her skin very moisturized by a gentle cream. We’re still giving her a small dose of allergy syrup twice a day, too. She was great in the car with Roger to the doctor and even two errands after that.

They have been in our pool twice now. I thought they would have loved it more seeing how bath time is such a gynormous hit. They’re getting comfortable with it, though. Staying on the platform and occasionally letting us carry them and swoosh them around in the deeper end.

Food is still probably the most frustrating. They are picky eaters. What I think they’d like, they don’t. They don’t like pizza. Tried twice. They ate mashed potatoes in Russia once, but I made them here last night and they wouldn’t eat them. They seem to like all fruit and no vegetables. It seems like they got a lot of sugary foods and bread at the orphanage.

We’re working on filling out more forms. Right now it’s getting them registered with the Consulate.

Roger and I are getting back in the groove of things ourselves. Finally went through 3 weeks worth of mail and got most of the bills paid. Laundry is done. Roger went to the gym today and I’ll try to go tomorrow. We’ll just alternate days for now. He’s off of work for the next two weeks(except occasionally working from home). Thank God! I can’t imagine when he goes back.

Oh...and they each got their first haircut with us today. Well, Reese just got a quick trim. We’re still trying to grow out her hair. Our hair stylist actually came to the house and the kids did great with it. They’re obviously used to that being done, too.

I leave with a couple of pics.




9 comments:

Keryl Koffler said...

Yeah they look great! That's such great news about Pardo! How are the adjusting to the heat?

Troy and Rachel said...

So glad everyone is home safe. Routine is so important! We always give 10 minutes warnings in our house (before nap, before bed, before we go inside after being outside) and Daniel never fusses. He does make sure to remind me if I forget and say "bedtime" that he still has 10 minutes!!

Take Care!

Amy said...

SUPER SUPER glad that it sounds like she's not allergic to the dog. She may be an exema kid. My cousin's eldest has it and it comes out in the heat... haha AZ. Could just be the adjustment for her. New sheets, new soap etc.

I took T a couple times in the pool before she relaxed and now she LOVES it. LOVES LOVES LOVES it. Have you tried arm floaties?

Carey and Norman said...

Sounds like things are going very well. It takes time to learn one another (likes/dislikes/etc.) and it can be challenging in the interim.

As for food: our daughter loved chicken broth soups (chicken noodle, chicken & stars, etc.), Rotisserie chicken, and tomatoes best. She liked all things plain and no mixed salads or fruits. She was a big fan of hot dogs and bologna too (most sandwich meat...but usually not on bread). Cheese was hit or miss as was yogurt. Also, what she would like one day, she may act as though she didn't like the next day. Very frustrating. Pizza, spagetti, and other red sauces took about 2 months for her to warm up to eat.

Good Luck!!

Craig and Phyllis said...

I just got to catch up with your flight home and after. Sounds like you all did great! Just one major meltdown? I think that is fantastic! : )

All our boys said they didn't like things that we had. We found out that if we told them it was koosna (tasty in Russian) they were willing to try, and then they usually agreed. It sometimes took 3-4 different meals with certain foods until they were convinced that it was koosna. If you can get one to agree, it can help to convince the other one faster. (From been there, done that recently). : )

So glad that you are home and starting this new phase of your family!

Anonymous said...

Since we had wi-fi but no cell service for 3 days in ID, we were checking the blog and I kept Wendy & the rest of the family updated around the campfire! :-) We're all glad you are home and settling into your new home life with the kids. We also think they just get cuter by the day!

Rich and Jolynn said...

We are having the rash issue over here too. I feel so bad for our little ones, it must be so uncomfortable. Dr. # 2 has started test for allergies etc. Great pictures so glad they are home with their Mommy and Daddy!

Craig and Phyllis said...

Just read your post on our blog... yes, when we first got Dima to the hotel and for about 2-4 weeks after we got home with them, he would scream and fight as we tried to put him down for a nap. We did lay with him until he fell asleep (about 15 minutes, usually, but sometime much longer). He then progressed to being able to go down without the screaming. We still would stay with him til he was asleep, or almost asleep. (That was also when Craig was out of work. Don't know how I would have done that by myself). He always did better going down for a nap if we caught him still in a good mood and before a meltdown had started. : ) I would encuorage you to keep those naps going as long as you can. I think it will really help to ease the stress of all the adjustments that they are dealing with. I tried it with the older boys, but they balked at it sooo much. So, they only went down if they were having a really tough day.

Nancy said...

Precious kids!

Days of Parenthood