Tomorrow morning (Friday) is "Gotcha" Day! We are nervous, stressed, excited, etc... all of the above about what the next week especially holds for us.
Today was a very busy day checking into the apartment and getting prepared for the children's arrival tomorrow. We have been doing laundry all afternoon and hoping it dries overnight. The apartment is nice. It's pretty large, too. We bought $100 worth of groceries, but it seems that may only get us to Sunday morning. It's heavy to carry it all so we'll be going frequently. It seems we're getting more comfortable here in Moscow (going native, so to speak). Zei: We actually did find an A.J.'s type grocery store here. It was closer to the Sheraton we were staying in, though. The one near our apartment isn't too shabby either, it's just smaller. We bought our breakfast there a couple times and dinner once, and ate it in the hotel room.
The weather here today was perfect! Wish the remaining days will be like today.
Earlier today we also walked to the other larger children's store. It's near the zoo. We bought a single umbrella-like stroller. We'll see how that gets us around in the next few days.
Tonight we found the BEST restaurant so far in Moscow. I'd have to say if it were in AZ it would probably be a favorite there, too. At least our last non-parent meal was a very nice and delicious one. The bummer, though is it's closer to the Sheraton we were staying at and just found it today. This apartment is closer to the Kremlin, though.
I think that's it for now. We will, of course, post tomorrow afternoon/evening with an account of the first day with the kids and post their pictures, too.

12 comments:
So anxious to see the pictures of the kiddos! You will be great. Just try not to set up high expectations as to how everything will go, since it usually never happens the way we would like. : ) (Especially in Russia)!
Craig and Phyllis said it right. It's all in the expectations. We can all sense your nervous exuberance. Lean on each other and follow your instincts. You'll be fine!
I'm just catching up on your week long visits with the kids and your trip to Italy. I've been in Lexington, KY for a conference this week and am just now getting back to work today (had to check your blog on a break). So glad you are doing well and are ready to have your munchkins permanently tomorrow. I cannot wait to hear more about your first day together as a family!
Thinking of you!
Good luck tomorrow. It's a brand new journey now as a foursome.
Pat, Carl and Ryan
Good luck to you! The first night was always interesting when we adopted our boys. They both wanted to see all their clothes, check out the food, the laptop, camera, etc. I bet your children will be curious too!
Best wishes to you tomorrow. I cannot wait to see pictures! Congrats, in advance, on your gotcha day!
Myra
This is such an exciting adventure you are on. I am thinking you may be picking up the children even as I write this note to you. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with all of us. I hope that your first day as parents is fantastic- but if it's not, try to remember that doesn't mean anything. Life is full of good days and bad ones- there will be many, many good times ahead. You're in my thoughts.
Love, Tara
wow! it's finally here! I have goose bumps for you guys, and I think that everyone has great suggestions about the whole expectation thing. You know that the kids love you and that is genuine, anything that comes from that is going to be good. Embrace it and tire them out so maybe they will sleep for you. XO Amy
Ciao! Good luck today! Can't wait to hear about your first day with the kiddos. So great seeing you here a Roma! Ci vediamo!
Can't wait for the big reveal!! :) I am so excited for all 4 of you.
The 1st couple days may be stressful and sometimes there is a "day 3 freak out" but just remember that they'll thrive with you as parents!!
Anxiously awaiting your gotcha day update and pictures of your kiddos! So excited and happy for you guys!! I hope we follow in your footsteps this fall!
Hugs and God Bless,
Angie
It's 6 pm there... Hope there were more smiles than tears today!! Gary has been cracking up over the spitting incident - she must have been really ticked about you not showing up for 4 days!
A whole new day for the Hurni family. Hope all is well!
Waiting for a Gotcha Day post....no pressure! :o)
Post a Comment