Well, we didn’t post a blog last night because at this hotel (unlike last trip) we pay additional for internet access and thought we might just skip logging in and start checking email every other day. Friday we are going to Rome, Italy for the weekend. My friend, Keryl, whom I have spent the last four years in Italian language classes with, is there with her two children renting an apartment for three weeks in July. She suggested we come out for the weekend and crash at her place. Believe me, it will be a welcome break from the Moscow city life and food. Especially the food! So we will also be taking the weekend off from blogging, too.
On Wednesday the weather was improved - it was partly cloudy and when the sun came out it was perfect weather. Thursday, however, we woke again to rain; I can’t keep wearing the same thing... I knew July was a rainy season, but it also is suppose to have an average temperature that is in the high 70’s, low 80’s, which we have not seen yet. The visit at the orphanage Wednesday afternoon was very nice and the kids are becoming more and more accustomed to us. We made the trip there on our own by way of the Metro and walking. We were able to stay for an hour and a half and play outdoors the entire time. They really love exploring the outdoors. Especially N. He loves to find branches and hold on to them. He also loves playing in the sandboxes that are there. R does a little bit of everything. She is definitely a little defiant at times, but then again she hasn’t had anyone around to say she has to share her toys or to stop doing a certain behavior she shouldn’t be doing. She is the oldest child at this orphanage and has obviously just taken toys away from the other children and plays how she wants. We see a bit of a tough transition ahead with her on this issue.
Thursday’s visit with the kids went very well. We went in the a.m. again and not having a translator with us to ask questions is the only negative to us going it alone. We were only able to stay again for an hour. Not sure why; it seemed like they were going in to watch cartoons. R started to cry real tears again when she had to say good-bye to us. She’s really becoming attached it seems; especially to Roger.
After the orphanage we went on another quest to try and get some help with our “lost” stroller. We located the address to the Singapore airlines office here in Moscow. We took two trains to get there. I think we’ve got the Metro down now. The lady there said she has to send a message to actual Singapore and see if it actually went there. Our flight was continuing on to Singapore after Moscow. She said to call back in a couple of days to see what they find out, but wouldn’t tell us or promise what would happen if they came up empty again. Meaning, we really don’t know if they’re going to reimburse us or not. Yesterday, we walked all the way to the Baby store that we heard was here. Supposedly very large. Well we got there and it’s closed for remodeling. Can’t believe it. Looks like it’s been closed for awhile. Now we’ll have to ask our driver (and pay) to go to and find a stroller to purchase next week.
We’re at the McDonald’s now using their free wi-fi to post this and check emails. We just buy a coke or ice cream cone and don’t feel guilty about using it. The McDonald’s here are VERY busy and popular. Probably because of the free wi-fi and that food is CHEAP compared to everything else here. There’s a Starbucks across the street from our hotel. This morning I ordered a tall latte. It was $6.40 US. Ok...so I guess you get it, I’m finding this city too expensive. Oh...like many other adoptive families have mentioned, the women here wear high spikey heels and walk fast everywhere. I don’t know how they do it on these concrete streets. Everyone seems pretty fashion-conscious here, too.
As Zei had asked...yes, Obama's visit was all over the TV. In fact, he was staying at the Ritz and on the same street as ours. Our hotel was about a mile further up the street, though. On Monday driving back from the orphanage in the evening, the streets all around the hotel and Kremlin area were closed. It creates quite a mess of the already huge amounts of traffic here. But, everyone overall seemed pleased with his visit. Now he's in Italy and that's where we're headed. I think he's just stalking us or something. :-)
I’ll close til next week. Please say a prayer for a miracle that they find our stroller and that the weather is nicer here next week. Ciao’!

8 comments:
How exciting to be traveling to Rome, Italy. We've been to Venice, but never to Rome. I cannot wait to hear about your weekend! I know you will have a blast! Good way to break up your time in Russia too!
Can't wait to hear about your time in Italy!
I'm praying they find your stroller. That will be a lifesaver for getting through the airport with 2 little kids. It's wonderful that you get to go to Italy during your wait! Something that adventurous never even occured to us. You guys are real jet setters! Have fun!
I know you'll be throwing many coins into the Trevi fountain and I hope all your wishes come true. Congratulations on being very proud parents. Believe it or not, this will be the easiest separation from your kids that you'll ever have. Enjoy!
Rome?!! How fun! How long of a flight will that be from Moscow?
Have a wonderful trip to Italy - my daughter went to Rome on her honeymoon and loved it!
I hope when you get back to Moscow you can go to Pasta Mama and Cafe Pushkin. Both were good. The pelmeni at Cafe Pushkin was outstanding!
Have a safe trip and I can't wait to hear that your children are with you. I do hope your stroller turns up!
Myra
Glad things are going well with the kids. I'm sure once R gets lots of individual attention and some toys of her very own she'll settle down. Big sisters are supposed to be bossy though, aren't they?! :-).
Glad you are making it over to Rome... I'll be thinking of you while you are having the great pizza bt Piazza Novena ... Mmm... And the cappuccinos... Mmm...
Looking forward to next week's updates. And a re-appearing stroller. Have a great weekend!
Roger and Joanne - Congrats on your successful court date! Sorry I am so belated in commenting. I am so glad things are going well (minus the stroller - I hope it shows up! Enjoy your Cokes and icecream!!
Have a great trip to Rome - you're already there by now as I have had a crazy work week and was too tired to comment, but I have been thinking about you!!!
Hoping they find that stroller!!! Sheesh!
Post a Comment