Look to the West for Moscow

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Back in Moscow & 12 more days to go

As always, Italy was a wonderful time. This was my third time in Rome and Roger’s second, so we were able to show Keryl and her kids (twins age 6) around to most of the must-sees. It was a 3 1/2 hour flight to Rome from Moscow. We then took the train to Trastevere where Keryl’s rented apartment was located. After freshening up, it was just a short 15 minute walk to Campo Dei Fiori for a wonderful fresh market full of fruits, vegetables, fish, flowers, etc... Another five minutes further we went to Piazza Navona and the Pantheon. We had dinner that night at our favorite pizza place, La Foccacia, near Piazza Navona. The next morning we took a longer walk to Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps. Of course, Via Condotti is very near to the Spanish steps so Keryl and I went into a few of the luxury stores. No purchases this trip, though, just wishful desires. We forgot to throw coins in the fountain (as is your guarantee for a return visit to Rome, they say), so we hope there’s not too much truth to that saying. On Sunday we did an even longer walk to Villa Borghesa (Rome’s big public park) and to the zoo inside the park. And, we of course had gelato everyday. I had the best pistachio gelato ever on Sunday! The sunshine and the food were definitely a welcome treat for us. Seeing Keryl and her kids was great, too. Her kids were unbelievably great at walking for 4 - 6 hours straight on the busy, cobblestone streets of Rome. Kids have so much energy - they never seemed tired. And then when it was time for bed (around 9 p.m.) they just immediately fell asleep for 8-10 hours. I hope our kids will be like that. :-)

Back to Moscow where it’s much warmer than when we left but still chances of rain this week. In fact, Tuesday a.m. we woke to incredibly low, loud thunder and pouring rain, but it only lasted a half hour.

We are back at the Sheraton until Thursday afternoon where we will then check into our apartment. We’re actually looking forward to it so we can make some of our own food for a change and do some laundry. The plan is to pick up the kids from the orphanage to forever stay with us, on Friday morning. We will go visit them again on Tuesday and Wednesday.

I’m still missing my dog Pardo very much. And, I can’t wait to be done with this part of the journey and be home again.

Here are a few pictures of our retreat to Italy for the weekend:




8 comments:

Amy said...

Sounds like a great weekend indeed!! And a nice way to break up your 10 day wait! Tick tock your time is winding down!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Friday is Forever!! How exciting!

Love the pics - were you all speaking Italian while you dined at La Foccacia? Trevi didn't look very crowded, did it seem like people had left the city for summer holiday?
Mmmm... Real gelato. :-) hard to find in Moscow, I bet!

Have a great day and thanks for keeping us posted.

Unknown said...

Oh what a dream to be in Italy. You and Rog look pretty comfortable with the kids in Rome. You guys are going to do just great, and I think it's nice to know that you have time to nest in your aptm., with the kids. When does Adrianne arrive? XO Amy

Joy said...

I am with you I LOVED Rome. I wish I had extra time because that is exactly what I wanted to do. I can not wait to hear about picking up the kids.
Joy

myra said...

Oh,my goodness! The lovebirds in front of the Trevi fountain say it all: "We are the luckiest two people in the world". Show this picture to your children one day to illustrate how happy their coming into your lives has made you.

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great trip to Italy. How can you go wrong with gelato everyday!
I hope this week goes by fast and the rest of your stay goes very smoothly.

Anonymous said...

I just talked to my dad and Lauren and they said Pardo is doing great! They said she's spending lots of time outside hanging on the grass. This was a fav spot of Lucy's when she was there too. I hope you guys are doing well.

Troy and Rachel said...

What a treat!!! SO glad you got to have a good time!!

Days of Parenthood