We had our day in court this morning. After 40 minutes the whole thing was over and were we granted custody of the two children! Our coordinator, Masha, briefed us on possible questions the judge would be asking. We had to choose which one of us would speak first. The first person speaking has more questions entailing home, financial, children’s medical and general care, as well as personal. We chose Roger. No surprise there. I was asked just a few questions. Where I lived, if I was going to be the main caregiver and if there were medical concerns in the future would we be able to handle it. Then, the judge asked the prosecutor if she had any objections. Her answer: No. So, the judge went back into her room, deliberated for 10 minutes, came out and granted us the parents of R & N. Tomorrow starts the 10-day waiting period and then we should be able to pick the kids up on the 17th.
Our driver, Max, came back to pick us up at 3:00 for an hour’s drive to visit the children again for the first time in six weeks. It was great to see that they remembered us and that the caregivers have been using the photos to teach them who we are. Once at the orphanage we were able to put coats and hats on the kids and take them for a 5 minute drive so that their passports pictures can be taken and ready for the embassy appt. in two weeks. N’s came out nice. R’s looks sad. We will be going back tomorrow morning via the Metro. Wish us luck. Not sure how long it will take, but to pay a driver everyday is quite expensive.
Well, the weather here is still rainy and quite cold. I believe the high is 55 degrees. I mainly brought summer clothes. I’m cold. I have one long sleeve shirt and I pair of jeans. Good news is that it should warm up by Wednesday or Thursday.
We’ll try to post more after tomorrows visit.

9 comments:
Joanne,
That is great news! I am so happy for you. Does it seem real yet or like you are living in a dream?
Joy
Joy: It's not really a dream yet. But it's nice just to get use to all it gradually. It's a lot to take.
I must admit, I got goose bumps when I read that it was offial and that the kids are yours. It is alot to take in but always remember all of the support and wealth of experience you have back home. We are in this with you!! Amy
Congratulations! You are parents! I am so excited for you! I can't wait to see pictures of your little ones. Enjoy your time in Russia. It will seem long. However, it is such a special time in your lives!
God's Blessings,
Kathy
Congratulations!! We couldn't be more excited for you!! I'm so glad that you are back in Moscow, have been granted custody of N & R, and are now waiting ten days to bring your little ones home. I can imagine that it has been a whirlwind of a weekend/week for you. I'm just glad you made it safely and court went fairly easy! I about died at your $65 meal...Ha.
Looking forward to hearing more about your visits with your children!
Congratulations!!! What a wonderful court you had! Just one day and only 40 minutes, that is a great blessing from the Lord!
Happy to hear that you enjoyed Wicked even though you were so tired.
Looking forward to reading more as the days progress!
Congratulations! Welcome to parenthood! Funny how each region is so different. . .we saw Aidan again before Court. . .and then had to talk about how much he had changed! It's all good. You all will do great.
Woooo hooooo!!!! Congrats congrats!! Been waiting all day to hear the big news. Very happy for you FAMILY OF 4!!!!!!!
What a day! It's hard to imagine that in 40 minutes, your whole life is forever changed. I think it's really wonderful that the children remember you- you must have really made an impression on them. I bet they are so ready to be part of a real family. Hope you have a wonderful visit tomorrow.
Post a Comment