We first had to go to the Vital Records department this morning. That took almost an hour and then we went to the orphanage with all of our gifts and clothes to take the kids home in. The transition went really well. They were happy to come with us and looked great in their new American clothes. We got the address of the main caregiver that has given them so much love, and we intend to send her letters and pictures of the kids often.
After we were all in the car, we had one more stop to make. Roger and our driver, Vlad, went into a building to have Reese’s and Niko’s passports expedited. Meanwhile I sat in the car with both of them for 30 minutes. After about 15 they were getting a little antsy, but overall did okay. We arrived back at the apartment around 12:45. We immediately started to get their lunch ready. Ham sandwiches and honeydew melon. Niko ate up, but Reese only about half. Niko also drank plenty of water. Tried to have them both sit on the potty, but it was already too late and had a damp diaper. It’ll take awhile, but we’ll try. Another half hour of play and we decided Niko should have his afternoon nap. Roger laid down with him in the bed with his new blanket (thanks, Amy!) and his bear, while I tried to keep Reese quiet so her brother could sleep. She’s 3 1/2 and not sure if we should still do naps????
Niko slept for almost two hours. Reese, no. We’re not having any success on the potty training, either. It’s obvious they have no clue what that is about. I guess I shouldn’t have hoped for miracles. By 5:00, after they played nicely in the apartment, we decided to take a 10 minute walk to a small playground area. Again, they listened and it went great. They really enjoyed that. Back to the apartment at 6:00 and I began to make dinner. Pasta noodles with a touch of butter and bits of chicken from a roasted chicken I went to the store earlier for while Niko slept. Again, Niko ate 90% of it, but Reese hardly touched her dinner. They also had an apple before the park and a small cookie when we got back. She’s probably hungry, but not eating. They may be small but they are not lacking in weight. They got plenty of baby fat. After dinner it was bath time. Oh Boy did they like that! I’ve read over and over how orphaned children might not have been exposed to baths and scared, but no way! They knew what it was and had a grand time. Maybe we should have did that before dinner because by 8:00pm they were still too riled up for bed. We put on their pj’s and we were firm when we tried laying in bed with them to go to sleep, but Reese would have nothing to do with it. We know she’s beyond tired because she’s had no nap and has been rubbing her eyes for hours. Niko was good at first and lying down, then began Reese’s MAJOR meltdown. Finally got it under control but then they are now both too awake to sleep. I tried to leave the room and just have Roger stay with them in hopes of winding down. Then I thought...bribery (getting desperate), brought in a small cookie and said they could have it if they went in bed and to sleep. Kinda worked...they went and laid down in bed and then after the cookie was over they were running around in the room and playing with the light switches. Finally decided we should just leave the room and eventually they will fall asleep. This took a long time! So BEFORE bedtime...things went really well (considering) the whole day. But even as I write this, they are still not asleep. I wonder how tomorrow night will go. It’s 10:00p.m.
Here are photos to enjoy:





17 comments:
Today is the beginning of a "lifetime of firsts" for the four of you as a family.
Celebrate and cherish a new "first" every day.
Love from our family to your family.
Mike, Deb, Leira, Switzee & TeTe
They are so cute! Not sure about the name because I just can't remember. I would say if she seems really tired and will take one, then give it a try. If you notice it keeps her from falling asleep at bedtime at night, then don't do the nap. Of course, you won't know any of this until you have a good routine down. Trust your instincts. I read too many books that told me what to do and shut out too many of the things I wanted to do differently. You will always know best for those types of things.
Congrats!!
Oh..that was supposed to be "not sure about the NAP"...(not name).
WOW...it's REAL now! Good luck with the sleep part....I hope tonight goes okay but it was a very stressful day for all of you, I'm sure. Julie's right, .you'll get your routine down eventually and so will they.
Congratulations on your new life as parents (for the two legged ones). Wishing you a long lifetime of joy and laughter....and restful sleep!
xoxox from all of us.....hugs, licks, sniffs and belly rubs from Pardo
Nobody said the first day would be easy. And neither will the next few....it will happen eventually. I agree with the nap thing. Reese may be too old for naps and she may have a harder time at night if you force a nap during the day. Ryan decided at 3 that naps were no longer needed. Do what works. Sounds like Roger is working hard already.
Don't expect miracles right away! : ) They will take a while to get used to you and your ways. . .everything is new and different for them. Take your time. . .the routines will happen. And, don't expect a lot right away on the potty training. . .even if they are trained, it may be too much to ask with so many other changes! Take it easy on yourself!! God Bless!
Beautiful children!!! I am so excited for you both! I wont give any advice about the naps and bedtime. But, my goodness, I never saw anything like it before with the light switches!!!I thought I was going to go nuts trying to keep the boys (mainly Dima) from playing with them. Never, never, never saw anything like it! We are praying for you!
Congrats! The kids are SOOOOOOOO adorable. The first day is always tough and you all did great!
Congrats!
Myra
They are adorable!! We miss you guys!! No advice....I know you guys will figure out what works in regards to naps and eating :o)!!
We love you and are looking forward to you all coming home.
Congrats!
The Clearys
XOXO
Congratulations! You have really accomplished something that most "traditional" parents never do- you're starting with two kids, who have already gotten a few years under their belt of doing things "their way," and you did really great on the very first day!
It is totally normal that they weren't ready to go to sleep. Think about when you were a kid and something new and exciting was going on, you were in a new environment, or you were spending the night with people you weren't used to spending the night with. How easy was it for you to get to sleep? Well, these two have all of the above going on...
I think you guys are doing great. Thanks so much for sharing the photos... beautiful! Everyone looks so happy.
Yea!! The big reveal. Ok Reese is a gorgeous girl! Get ready dad to fight off the boys later!
Nicko has changed so much!!! Look at his cutie ears.
My niece is 3 1/2 and she still takes a nap most days, even if it's just "cool off time" to watch a little TV and be quiet.
Her eating will likely improve -- but she's probably so excited she doesn't want to eat or sleep in risk of missing something!!
Sounds like you're off to a good start! They weren't screaming & trying to make a break out of the car! ;-)
Wonder what the bedtime routine was at the orphanage before lights out? That's funny about the light switches. The littlest things can be big sources of wonder! You'll just have to start introducing your own bedtime rituals... Jammies, brush teeth, story, whatever. Hope you all got some rest.
Thanks for posting and pics - they are so darn cute and you guys make a beautiful family. You'll have to save your blogs in a journal so you can look back on the beginnings some day... There will be so much new stuff going on with them every day! Have a great day! Z & G
Yeah...pictures! So glad to see this update with photos. Niko and Reese look so happy. Sorry to hear about the naps and struggle at bedtime. Our little one would just sing and sing and sing. I remember not getting much sleep those first few nights. Lots of rocking and wiggling in the bed too. I promise it gets easier...especially once home and in your comfort zone.
Have a wonderful weekend. Will be praying for you!
They are gorgeous - congratulations to both of you! Things will get better with the sleep - hang in there and know that both the kids and you are adjusting to each other, and soon you'll blend like you've been together forever!
:) L
What a great day! The bedtime routine will come - just give it some time. Thinking about you and sending good thoughts your way. You did it!
Niko and Reese are adorable! I melted when I saw Roger holding Niko and you carrying Reese. Everyone is on a sharp learning curve;the more mistakes, the quicker one learns what works. And it may all go out the window once you get back home. Try going with the flow for now and just bask in the glory of being new parents. I'm so proud of you.
What adorable little cuties! Congratulations!!! Although we only adopted one recently, I can attest the sleeping does get easier! Try not to sweat it too much in Russia and know that when you get home you'll have to re-adjust them again. Sleep when you can and enjoy them - they are beautiful.
Laura
Post a Comment