Look to the West for Moscow

Monday, May 4, 2009

I can cross two things off the list

Travel arrangements are made. Visa's ordered. Whew! We are leaving PHX on May 23rd bright and early, then flying to PHL and then onto Frankfurt on US Airways, change to Lufthansa for our flight to Moscow. Double whew! But, AT LEAST, we were able to use our US Airway points! YIPPPEEEE!!! We've been saving them in hopes we would be able to use them. I think the agent actually over-rode the seats for us to do this on the flight home. We will meet with the Ministry of Education and then from there go to meet the kiddos for the first time on Tuesday, May 26th. We wanted to fly home on Saturday the 30th but she couldn't make anything happen that day so we will fly home VERY early on Sunday the 31st.
In the meantime, I am so incredibly busy with things to get, finish projects around the house (namely installing the wood floors), and phone calls/appt.'s to make. And, think about furniture/decorating the rooms....All while trying to learn more Russian. We may just have to cram on the plane for that one. At least we've got several words and phrases down.
We're still undecided about the names. Do we change or not (we have to let them know while on Trip #1), either way their names will either be their first or middle names. I guess we just wait and see what our hearts tell us when we meet them.
I am a very organized person and having two rooms completely emptied (along with all that was contained in their walk-in closets) spread out amongst my house is freaking me out a bit. All in due time...that's what I keep saying to myself.
So now we wait for the Visa's to come in, the FBI clearances to come in and our extended I171-H to arrive.
I'm a bit sad I won't be going to the Vlad Inn in Vladivostok (which was our original assignment) like so many of you bloggers out there have experienced. It's not the greatest hotel, but from all that I've read, the friendships created from all of the other adoptive families all staying at the hotel would have been wonderful/life changing. The kids could play, you could always ask one of the other families for advice, etc... Moscow will be more isolated and lonely because adoptive parents are spread all over this big city. But, it is the birthplace of my children and we will make a great time of it. I'm just saying...ya know...sad.
Oh well, I better get back to getting some stuff done. Once home, I don't get how you adoptive moms out there find the time to continue blogging. I guess I'll find out.

8 comments:

Mike and Heidi Lee said...

Vlad Inn or no...you still have adoptive families out there that are cheering you on and are always here for you!! You can email us anytime!! So excited for you!

Troy and Rachel said...

Travel Dates?!?! I missed that post, but read it just a minute ago - Congratulations!!

We changed regions from Vlad also and we missed the Vlad Inn after hearing so much about it, but you'll find afterwards that it doesn't really matter in the end. We still have lots of contacts through blogging alone - we're all out here like Mike and Heidi said cheering you on!

You must be so excited!!

Amy said...

I am cheering too!! :)

The Vlad Inn is wonderful yes -- but I do know two other LH families that you can hook up with potentially on your trip and make your own adoptive parents family! You'll be surprised how many you'll run into while there I bet.

Take LOTS of pictures. I've always wanted to go to Moscow!!

Craig and Phyllis said...

Sounds like you are doing great with getting things arranged. I recommend the Teresa Kelleher Adopting From Russia book. I liked her phonetic spelling and CD the best. We tried to have some Russian down for the first trip, and couldn't get it in. We tried for the second trip, and didn't get much farther. There is nothing like immersion to get you to speak it! : ) The Lord will show himself mighty in that area for you.

As far as blogging post adoption, I can testify that it is my sanity time! It helps me to get things back into perspective and see the bigger picture rather than all the minute frustrations. Besides, you will have to keep blogging because you will have us all dying to know how things are going! : )

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

You'll meet plenty of adoptive families in Moscow. . .although our region was Krasnoyarsk, we spent so much time in Moscow, during trips 1 and 2 that we met several folks. . .especially walking around Red Square! You'll love it there. We met folks on our trip 2 who were on trip 1 while out dining. . .just like we had met folks on their trip 2 while we were on trip 1! It's a blast. And, you'll get everything done. Somehow it all works out! God bless!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Oh, and we used Simple Language for Adoptive Families, which you can order from Amazon.com in Russian. It comes in book and a CD that can be uploaded on your ipod! It was invaluable, especially on trip 2 because the the kiddo was a lot more interested in communicating by then!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo -
Congrats to you! We love you.

Em just said, "I hope you are very happy and I will be so so happy too. I will play with them."

Pat said...

wow,13 days left! I can't even imagine what the two of you are feeling! The one piece of advice I'd like to give you is this...relax. Let your house be a mess for awhile, it will be unorganized for some time getting the kids all adjusted and yourselves. When children are involved, perfection goes away and just living life day to day, watching them take it all in just takes over in your life. They are small for just a short time. Live life for them for now. Gosh, this is going to be such an adventure for all 4 of you. I can't wait to hear them call you mom and dad!!! By the way, I vote for them to keep thier russian names first and american names second. Keeps thier heritage strong. It's the final countdown! Give them a huge hug from us!!

Your sis

Days of Parenthood