Look to the West for Moscow

Monday, May 25, 2009

Full-time husband and guest blogger

Hello everyone. Joanne has been kind enough to allow me to write a post. Don’t get the wrong impression - she’s not a control freak about our blog - I’m just usually too busy.

Today was a day of sightseeing and simply walking around Moscow. The city reminds me of Sarande, Albania and Spilt, Croatia combined. You can read that as some great history and interesting architecture that’s runs the range of amazing to tear it down and put up some nice condos. But all-in-all, it’s a pretty nice place.

As for our primary reason for this trip, we are very excited and yet have a lot of nervous anticipation with the tomorrow’s introduction of the kids. For those who don’t know, we can’t post their names or pictures until after the court proceedings on the second trip. So for now, “kids” will have to suffice.

We have just finished packing our “bribery bag” for them. It has the usual items one would expect; toys of various shapes, sizes and colors as well as some food such as cheese crackers and cookies. We’re hoping they will take a liking to us more because of our interaction with them rather than the goodies but one has to be prepared to do what’s necessary.

We’ve been thinking about what’s “necessary” a lot on this trip. What I mean is that we’ve been putting ourselves in the kids shoes. No matter how much of an emotional roller coster we’ve been on it’s nothing compared to what will be going through their little heads once they are ours. “Who are these people?” “They’re nice and they give us candy and toys but they sure speak funny” “What’s this moving machine that’s lifting us in the air? “Why is it so hot in the new place?” Their thoughts and questions will be endless and confusing. But we will work through as all parents work through issues. Wish us luck because we’re gonna need it.

We’ll close with some photos of the sights.










6 comments:

Bill and Myra said...

Love the post from the "guest blogger." I will tell you that you hit it on the head with what the kids will be thinking. Sergei told us he had NO CLUE what we were talking about when we visited him and was very confused. Our Russian, then, was very bad. Make sure your translator is close by to help you communicate!

Even though it sometimes snows in Atlanta, the kids keep asking why we would live in a place with no snow! Sergei, adopted about 2 1/2 years ago, understands but Ruslan still asks questions about it!

Good luck with your meeting tomorrow! It will be a very emotional day!

Myra

Amy said...

Hey "Guest Blogger"! Great to hear from you. Love the pictures -- you must have a wonderful camera -- they're gorgeous! I especially like the man squatting down in front of St Basil's looking like a plumber ;)

Good luck tomorrow!!

Craig and Phyllis said...

We will be praying for you during our night, your day! (I wake up alot during the night). It is such an incredible thing when you see your children for the very first time!. I cannot wait to hear how it goes. Savor this special time and know that people are back "home" praying for you.

Nancy said...

Awesome pictures! Good luck tomorrow!

Tara dS said...

Roger and Joanne, it is 10:15 your time and I imagine that you are with your kids now for the very first time. Lots of good thoughts are circling around the world to you from me and Dave... can't wait to hear more details.

Thanks for clarifying about the names and photos- I was unaware of this until now and I was hoping to see some photos tomorrow. I guess I'll have to wait a few more weeks until your second trip! Best wishes...

Tara

Carey and Norman said...

Your pictures are so good! Looks like you've had a fun time sight-seeing in Moscow! I cannot wait to hear about your first visit with the kids! What an exciting week for you!! Brings back so many memories!

Wonder what toys and snacks will be their favorites? It will be exciting to hear!

Days of Parenthood