If so I’m ready - we both are. But we’re damn scared too. Today however was a pretty great visit outside of the fact that T is a pretty strong willed child and can be a bit defiant if she doesn’t get here way. Is this typical or are we in for trouble? We certainly can’t discipline her yet nor can we set boundaries. Right now we believe she sees us more as playmates than her parents. It’s going to be a tough transition for her since she rules the orphanage as the oldest kid. We wouldn’t be surprised if when she’s in school she’ll be telling the teacher what to do. That said, we did get her to say her first word in English today: More. And she does have a very sweet side as she loves to give hugs and kisses. In fact, when she saw us today she ran right up to us and greeted us with a hug and a kiss.
As for N, he is sweet and much more on the quiet side than T but today he opened up a bit more: laughing, smiles and generally more playful. When I (Roger) was bouncing him on a large ball and I would stop to ask if he wanted “more?” he responded with “da” which is Russian for “yes.” It was really the first time he verbally responded to us and we are taking that as a very good sign.
When play-time was over we watched them eat a snack and drink some apple juice. They really shoved down their food and drinks. Neither of them use sippy-cups. To our surprise, the caregivers give them their drinks in regular cups.
Today was also the last time we will see them until we return in four to six weeks for our court date. Then we get to bring them home and the real fun starts - we can’t wait. We keep hearing how much kids improve once they leave the orphanage so it’s pretty hard to know you can’t be working with them while you’re waiting for a date to return. But we are sure they’ll be fine. They’ve been through a lot already and from this point forward it’s only going to get better and better.
Tomorrow is a short day of sightseeing and then early to bed. We need to be up by 3 a.m. to make our flight for home. Our next post will be from there.
Thanks again everyone for the wonderful comments. Being able to read your thoughts have really help us get through this week.

6 comments:
Yes, it does...and boy will you both have many more moments like that. As for T's behavior, Ryan's teacher adopted a little boy a few months back and he was a little difficult, but over time and some therapy he had jumped by leaps and bounds with improvements overall. As I am sure N and T will as well. So glad to hear it went well and I think it will be rough for you both during the transition, but so worth all the love you will receive in the end for years, and years to come down the road. We are here to support you guys in everywhich way possible and we mean that sincerely. Let us help however we can. Enjoy your last day and have a safe trip home!
Your sis, Carl and Ryan
Safe travels Hurni's....
The T on this end can be quite stubborn as well. And man does she turn on the tears when she doesn't get her way (typically when she can't go out and swing). But just as soon as they start - they stop again!!
Yes, it makes you a parent, big time! Next you will give up everything for your children and you are so prepared to do that too!
I kind of giggled about the defiance your little girl has - Ruslan was the same way. He is the typical "alpha male". He likes to be in charge and dominate others. But if someone is sick or hurt, he is the first one to go over and help them or hug them.
I am so happy all went well for you. I am also very glad you won't have a long wait between trips (like in Vlad).
I hope you have a safe trip home! I cannot wait until you can post pictures!
Myra
I'm just catching up from your last few posts - that teaser photo was too much!!! I'm so glad you have decided to parent these children and absolutely yes! wiping drool qualifies you as a parent!! All children will push you to your limits so don't worry too much. You'll have to setr firm boundaries once you return home and stick to it! It sounds like your wait in between trips won't be too long which is great!
I'm so glad your last visit with T & N went well. I think when you have siblings, you will always have one that is the more dominant personallity. How cute that she is the little boss on campus :o) I agree that setting boundaries while in country is hard to do. Too many eyes watching :o)
I hope you are able to return in 4 to 6 weeks to bring your two little ones home!!
Just catching up. . .sounds like your week was very eventful! The next few weeks will really fly as you make your final preparations. . .we had some serious questions about Aidan from his initial meds--some were enough that our IA doctor didn't even think he'd get into college. So far, these concerns have been all unfounded--our Aidan is very very smart, it turns out! My prayer is that the same will be true for your N.
God Bless and welcome home.
Stacy
Post a Comment