Look to the West for Moscow

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Pree-vyet! (Hi!)

Our first post from Moscow.
Our trip over was pleasantly uneventful. Everything was actually on time, even with our short layovers it all went very easily. Because of the short layovers in Philly and Frankfurt the trip actually went by pretty quickly and we were never bored. We tried to sleep for about 3 hours, but only managed to get about 30 minutes.
I had heard last week from another adoptive family who arrived here that upon our arrival in Moscow we would have to have our temperature taken before we get off the plane because of the swine flu. And sure enough, they came onboard with an infrared type device to scan our ear for a fever. Once everyone was clear we were able to deplane and head down to passport control. Roger and I have been to many foreign countries and this was the first time passport control had no sense of order. Other countries have queues (just like banks), and next in line goes up and so on...well, the people in the Moscow airport just crowd the area and you have to be somewhat aggressive if you ever want to get to the agent.
We arrived to rain and they say it should rain on and off for the rest of the week. We're quite alright with that. It beats Russia with snow and 10 degrees and beats the 100 degrees temps we've experienced already in AZ. Our very smiley translator/driver (Max--although when he says it, it sounds like Mox, but I'm pretty sure it's Max) was waiting for us after we claimed our bags and then off we went to the city center of Moscow. About a 30 mile drive. We then crashed in the room for a couple hours once unpacked.
So far we haven't done much else besides walk to St. Basil's and Red Square (which are close to the hotel)(and so uniquely stunning). Monday we will walk around more and do some souvenir shopping so the kids will have something to remember their country by. Paka for now! (Bye)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom & Dad,

Just finished reading (ah-hummmm) your post and I'm happy you arrived safe and sound in Moscow. I'm doing great up here in the cool mountains with Sage and her parents. It's so beautiful and I love the smells. The only complaint is that they got rid of all that nice mulch and put in small stones. I can't dig and dig and dig anymore. I have found a nice shady spot behind a bush and it's pretty comfy/cozy! I went for a walk around the golf course this morning, got pretty tired and took a nap while Lauren & Michael went to the gym. Sage and I are sharing toys/bones/beds as usual. She knows I need lots of love while you're away. Enjoy your site-seeing and shopping (don't forget me :) and keep me up-to-date on what's going on over there.
Licks and wet noses,
Pardo

Amy said...

So sweet for puppy to leave you a message!!

I was hoping for an update tonight and YES! it's Max!!

Can't wait til Tuesday -- is it possible I am just as excited for you as you are? LOL

Carey and Norman said...

I'm so excited that you made it safely to Moscow. I am so excited to hear about your visits this week.

I'm so glad you were able to go to St. Basil's and Red Square. We enjoyed our visits there and found it easier to look/shop on trip 1 than on later trips.

Looking forward to hearing more about your week!!

Joy said...

I am so glad that you are there. You must be so excited.
Joy

Anonymous said...

So cool...

Days of Parenthood