Look to the West for Moscow

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

More details/comments

Now that I’ve had a few hours of sleep, I feel like I can add a few more details and comments. I haven’t been able to get more than a few hours sleep since we’ve been here. I’m actually surprised by that seeing as how tired I am when I go to bed. Roger again did most of the typing last night as I was just too spent from the day, but put in my two cents here and there.

Yesterdays MOE appt. at 11:00 only lasted about 15 minutes. We were really nervous and stressed that morning before attending the meeting. Didn’t have to be…it was very simple and quick. Three women officials sit in a room with you and your translator. The head lady (speaking only in Russian) gives a brief description of the children’s parents, the birthdates of the children, how long they’ve been in the orphanage and then basically if we would like permission to go meet them. All the while watching the Russian lady speak, then turning to our translator for her to repeat all that was said to us and then turning back to the head lady. It felt a little strange to be staring at this woman and not understanding a word she says.

After this appt. we were not able to go see the children until 4pm. By the time we would have gotten to the orphanage the children would just about be going for their afternoon nap, so we would wait until later to go there.

Our driver picked us up at 3pm. for the drive to the orphanage. It ‘s really not too far but takes about 50 minutes in the traffic. I could write an entire post about the driving and traffic in Moscow. (I might if I find I’m restless again) Honestly, if someone offered me a million dollars to drive around the city here for a day, I would say NO. Anyway, we meet and play with the children from 4-6:15, then make the drive back. By the time we get back to the hotel we’re starving and stressed and tired, but had to type up and send out our info to the int’l adoption doc. I have to give Roger credit where credit is due. You see, after we both played and met with the children for a little bit, the caretaker came in to answer all questions about their daily life/routine in the orphanage, and then the doctor came in to fill us in on all their medical information past and present. One of us had to listen intently and ask all the questions while the other kept the children occupied. Roger did a great job playing on the floor with them while I did the listening to the Russian and then the translator again. All the while we’re both trying to take photos and video footage. We were simply exhausted from the day. It went well, though, and we hope to have more information to share much later today.

9 comments:

Troy and Rachel said...

I'm so glad you're there safe and sound and sorry I'm so late telling you this! It sounds like the visits with the children are going great and you've got a good husband there!! Keep updating and have a geat rest of the trip!!

Craig and Phyllis said...

Oh this is great! Sounds like things are going very well. Craig and I had to go see Dima in the morning and then Pasha and Maxim late in the afternoon. We were exhausted everyday by the time we got back to the hotel, and then we still had to find a place to eat. That is why we had pork 4 out of 5 times that week! It is one very emotional week, but a very wonderful week as well. Have fun with them!

Tara dS said...

I am so happy that your first visit with the children went well, and that they have experienced love and excellent care while in the orphanage. But I'm sure they are ready for a real home with parents.

How was the communication between the two of you and the children? Was it harder or easier than expected?

This is all so exciting!

Anonymous said...

Yikes, that does sound exhausting - to say nothing of jet lag traveling half way around the world!

Just want to send love and support to you both. We hope that you get to have some real quality time with the kids and that the next few days are less stressful.

We all had a great weekend with Miss P and she's been a doll! She sends furry hugs to you both.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear that everything went so well!
We have been following your posts, I couldn't wait to check it tonight!
Wishing you another wonderful day with the kids.

Pat said...

Everything seems to going just wonderfully for you guys. The children sound absolutely adorable and we can't wait to hear more about them including pics.

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear things are going well with both the kids and the officials both! Thanks for taking the time to blog and let us all share this exciting new journey with you as it happens! We are so excited for both you & the kids!!

Keryl Koffler said...

How very exciting! Keep us posted as often as you can. Enjoy and take a deep breath! Love you guys!

Carey and Norman said...

Thanks for the extended post on your visit to the MOE and orphanage. When you have time, I'd love to hear more about the kids and their personalities. I always love to hear about their hair and eye color too. It is like reading a book. It allows you to mentally picture the children while we read about your day!

Days of Parenthood