One of our greatest concerns about N (boy--remember I can’t publish names yet) was put to rest after two different doctor evaluations. While there’s no guarantee in life with any child, an institutionalized child will definitely have risk factors and developmental delays. We knew that much when we started this journey and it seems (without a crystal ball) that that should be our worst case scenario.
Tomorrow we will sign some documents and then go to the orphanage in the afternoon for one last visit.
At the end of our visit on Tuesday with T & N the caregiver had said to T to say “goodbye” to us. Well, T just turned around to Roger and lifted her arms for Roger to pick her up, and so he did, then she looked at the caregiver with the saddest eyes and cried real tears. I don’t know how but she seems to be attached to Roger in only two visits. Roger says he has that affect on woman. :-0 Anyway, we witnessed them having big hearts and smiling faces with great potential.
It was way more of an emotional rollercoaster of a ride than I had ever even anticipated. We are beyond exhausted. I always seem to say “if it’s meant to be it’s meant to be” ...that there are life lessons to be learned. I can’t seem to figure out why this week had to be this way. What was I supposed to learn? I do, however, know that Roger and I deeply appreciate everyones positive thoughts, wishes, and prayers that you’ve been sending our way. I’ll close with a couple of photos ...one a teaser...



13 comments:
I have tears in my eyes and goose bumps down my arms as I write this...
CONGRATULATIONS to not only you and Roger but to T & N who have been given the biggest gift of their lives, 2 parents who will love and care for them unconditionally through the good and bad. Everyones lives will be more blessed because of your choices. We are included in that list of people.
We are thrilled for all of you!
I have to go call Matt... He said at dinner last night "I am so excited for them, I can't even imagine how they feel if I am this excited."
Have a safe trip home!
I am so happy that I too am crying right now as I type this...I am so happy you have made the decision to move forward and take these two little ones in to your lives. I know they will be the happiest two children in your care. Roger does have a way with children for sure...wow, I don't know what else to say. Ryan just asked why I was crying, he thought I was upset and I told him about your decision, now I have to call Carl.
Can't wait to hear more when you get back!!
Love you guys.
Such great news! These are two very lucky children who will have two amazing parents.
Blessings to you.
Myra
Ok no tears now -- but I will admit when I got your email, I had to fight them back! I am so over the moon happy for you two that everything worked out. And WOW - to be able to keep these sweet kiddos together in a great home.
I have been creating a small pile for you - and after the news, it went in the mail today. I may beat you home!! :)
LOVE LOVE the teaser pic. ADORABLE!!
Jo & Ro,
Very exciting news!!! I am sure you'll have plenty of tears saying goodbye for a brief time until you get back to Moscow in a few weeks. Tears of joy I'm sure.
Can't wait to hear more about the kids and to finally meet them. We miss you and hope you have a safe journey back home. I bet you finally get some sleep on your long flight back home.
xox,
L, M & the furry kids
CONGRATULATIONS!!! We are so excited for you and the little ones, we are all anxious to meet them. These are two very blessed children to have wonderful parents :o).
Have a safe trip home, we look forward to seeing you both and hearing all about the trip.
P.S. We loved the teaser picture!
Love,
Jim and Kristina
XO
Wow that's fantastic news! You are going to have such a beautiful family, and I can't wait to meet the kids. Safe travels back. Looking forward to hearing all about it!
Love you both!
Oh you are in my thoughts and prayers. I am so glad that you have made a decision. I know first hand how difficult that decision can be.
Joy
We are all sharing this rollercoaster ride with you, even if it's just on your coattails! Tears of sadness last night over the possible possibly turning impossible, and now tears of joy today. Love the pictures. So very excited for you to start your life as parents, and so very excited for the wonderful new life T&N will have with you.
This was just your test run on the highs and lows you will have every day as parents. I never dreamed how badly my heart could break or how high it could soar just on the tears or smiles of a child that I opened my heart to and claim as part of my family. You will be amazed.
Wishing you peaceful sleep and safe travels until you meet again, once and for always.
So glad to hear the news! I'm sure you are emotionally drained. Have a wonderful visit with them "today"! Have some kleenex's in your pocket.
I'm so happy for you!!!
What a wonderful, moving post! I was really worried and sad for you all day, knowing you had to make such a momentous decision. I am sure you have made the right choice. Everything I have been reading about institutionalized/ traumatized/ neglected children points to their infinite potential for growth and recovery, when they are raised in a loving, nurturing environment with committed parents. I know that you will provide a wonderful home for them and I'm so happy for you both! And for the kids! Also smiling through tears... See you soon
Congratulations. I'm so very happy for you and cannot wait to hear more about your time with T & N.
We didn't talk much about our worries while in Vlad, but we had concerns as well and had trouble getting answers from our doctor at home. We went through a similar experience during trip 1 on making a decision to move forward with so many unknowns. Like you, we prayed and trusted that God wouldn't give us more than we could handle. We knew that we would always wonder about our little one if we didn't adopt her, so we too made the decision to move forward knowing that we could handle the worse and pray for the best. Our little ones change so much once home that it is amazing that the things we saw in country no longer are present. Our doctor was right in that many of our worries can be due to socialization. It still is apparent in our daughter's mental age (meaning she is still learning how to interact and be social at her age level) in that she is often doing/saying things like a 2-3 year old and she will be five next week. It never truly dawned on me until we were home almost a year that what our little ones miss in the first year of life truly does make an impact on their personalities, behaviors, and social skills (of course, our daughter was in the orphanage for 3 years and 9 months). I say this as I had read the books, but until you experience this...it is hard to truly describe. There are two girls adopted from Russia in our daughter's pre-K class. They were adopted under the age of 2. Even though they've been home 3 years, they still hoard food. I thought this was interesting as even being adopted around 18 months, they learned what it was like to be hungry and do not have self control when it comes to eating.
Sorry for the long comment. I guess I just wanted you to know that all children are unique and that you will be so thankful and blessed by the adoption of T & N. Even though there may be challenges, you wouldn't want it any other way!
Many hugs coming your way!!
P.S. Now that you've made your decision, the stress will ease. I promise that your next trip will be more enjoyable as you aren't feeling the pressure to make a decision (unless it is about where to eat) and can just enjoy being parents!!
Post a Comment