Look to the West for Moscow

Monday, June 29, 2009

5 More Days til We Leave

I can’t even believe it. The last 2 months have just flown by. I’ve been getting a lot accomplished. The kids suitcase is packed! That’s a big one to check off the list. Of course, I’ll always be paranoid if I packed all that they will need. How many diapers? They say they are potty training, but what does that really mean in Russia. I know they do things differently, so we have packed 5 diapers per kid per day. I guess we’ll see where that takes us. The toys are packed. There’s not that many, I’m hoping we’ll be keeping them busy walking around outside, going to a park, going to the zoo, etc…Trying to wear them out for a good night’s sleep. I have the gifts for all the directors, caregivers, translator, driver, orphanage, etc…packed in their suitcase. It’s very heavy. Well, all the suitcases will be heavy, I’m sure. We’ll see if we encounter any excess baggage fees.

We’ve started gathering our clothing and toiletries and putting them in piles. I hope by Thursday night to have them packed completely. We’ll see… Friday we need to clean the house and get it ready for someone to stay here for a few days before a neighbor will be able to watch my “current” little girl, Pardo for the remaining weeks. I am so thankful Pardo will be in such loving hands while we’re gone. I’m going to miss her beyond belief. I have a pool guy coming, someone to cut the lawn, mail stopped, stocked up on some groceries for when we get back and have the $$ in new, crisp bills for the trip, too. Almost done getting our Embassy documents in order.

You see…we have tickets to see the play Wicked for Friday night. We leave Saturday morning for Moscow. Roger gave me these tickets as a Christmas present. When we first found out when we’d be traveling, I said “no way” I wasn’t going to be able to go to the show because I’m always a nervous wreck before we travel. Always cutting it very close to getting everything done in time, and not sleeping well before a big trip. Well, Roger was really bummed. So, I said if we get xyz and abc all done before Friday, then I’ll go. He’s been great and doing whatever I ask in preparation for the trip. Although he said he’d go without me. Hmm… I feel we’re pretty organized. However, I won’t really rest until our Visa’s and passports get delivered via FedEx this week. Time is getting critical now.

Yesterday we bought an inexpensive double umbrella stroller to help get us around that week with the kids in Moscow. Oh…my good friend, Adrianne, has also decided to come to Moscow our last week there. I warned her we’d have the kids then, but she’s gonna be a trooper and come anyways. She’s always wanted to visit Moscow and with us already having a good lay of the land and use of the metro, not to mention sharing in an inexpensive apartment, there seemed to be no better time for her to come. So I get a little extra help and set of eyes and Adrainne gets, well…a headache being around toddlers again. Nahh…I hope not! It’ll all go very well!

I hope to post one more time before we head out. It won’t be Friday night cause we’ll be at Wicked! ☺

5 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

You all will do great! Sounds ike you're all set and have everything critical checked off the list. don't worry overmuch about the diapers. . .you can buy those there! : ) We brought a few to get us through the first day or so and then bought more while there. . .that saved on weight and space in the bags!

Good luck and Godspeed!

Troy and Rachel said...

SOunds like you are ready!! I agree with Stacy - don't worry about diapers etc. - you can buy it all there and we also only took enough for about 2 days and then hit the store. We also didn't take as many toys, but instead picked up a few in Russia, that way we didn't have the weight when we traveled there to deal with and we brought home toys to put in his keepsake box once he's done playing with them.

Enjoy Wicked and have a safe trip!!

Craig and Phyllis said...

My daughter saw Wicked when it was in Chicago last spring. She LOVED it! It will be a great distraction for you and give you songs to sing on the plane. : ) In Astrakhan, there was a store that was like a Russian WalMart, so maybe they might have that in Moscow someplace. (There is an Ikea in Moscow)!
I am so looking forward to following the days and can't wait til we can see the pictures of the kiddos!

Pat said...

Wow, a friend is visiting you while you are there, how sweet is that! That's a great friend, I'm sure she'll love being there, and if I might add, extremely jealous that she gets to meet my new niece and nephew way before I do!! Thats just not fair... : ) Happy travels!

Shane and Kathy Gebhardt said...

As I read your list of items packed...it reminded me of our packing. First, I packed...then I went through an un-packed any items that were deemed "not so necessary". We were really concerned with the weight limits...so we worked hard to pack light.

We didn't adopt a child in diapers so I can speak on that topic. However, I'm sure that the others are correct. You may want to cut down on the amount of diapers packed. You can always buy some in Russia. We also bought food and toys while we were there in order to cut down on baggage. Your bags will feel so light after you give away all of the presents as well. :o)

Congratulations on your BIG TRIP! God's Blessings as you travel and as you re-unite with your little ones.

Take Care!

Days of Parenthood