Look to the West for Moscow

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I'm going to quote Tom Petty....

"The waiting is the hardest part". That title was inspired by my husband, Roger.

Yes, while it is true, we do know (as so many fellow bloggers have said so) that it will be worth the wait. It's hard not to think about it all the time. All the "wondering". So to take a break from that, my husband and I flew to San Francisco on Tuesday morning and spent a day walking around/shopping and having a fabulous lunch at the Ferry Building. We then flew home that night. If something that fun and exhausting doesn't take your mind off things, I'm not sure what will.

My hubbie had a nasty accident while road cycling (bicycle, not motorcycle) with some friends here about 10 days ago. He cracked two ribs. It was a frightening call to hear your husband is being taken by paramedics to the hospital, but I'm very grateful as it could have been much more serious. Another (new rider) in the group accidentally "t-boned" his bike as they were turning left and off they went flying. The first week was very painful for him, but he's doing better and so we decided a fun-filled day is just what was needed.

We did call our agency today to check up on the packet of apostilled documents we sent them last week. They did receive it and today they said they'd be sending it out to Russia. We asked about the rumors we've been hearing in the blog world of adoption about things shutting down in Russia during the holidays. She had said that they actually celebrate New Years Day and then their Orthodox Christmas on Jan. 7th and that things re-open (so to speak) around the 12th. So they do still work in December. It's doubtful we will hear of a referral before New Year's though. She did say again that little girls are very hard to come by, but they are continuing to search. And, February is more likely the earliest we'd hear. I'm hoping for a miracle and that they do find our healthy daughter sooner rather than later. :-) I also caught a news post about how Russia is continuing to encourage domestic Russians to not only adopt, but to foster the children in the orphanages, as the government will pay them to do so. They said that for that reason, international adoption numbers were down for last year. The hope has faded a bit for us...., but we will be as hopeful as we can for as long as we can that our child is there waiting for us.

9 comments:

Amy said...

Hahaha! I actually had a post with that title as well. Tom Petty is VERY fitting. Just waiting, waiting, waiting and not knowing what's up is sooo hard. I wish I could tell you it would get easier....

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Waiting is definitely the hardest part. . .This time last year my husband and I were waiting on a Court Date having just come back from our first visit. . .leaving our son behind after that first visit was right up that as hard, too! Russia shuts down for about 3 weeks from New Years (which is when they actually celebrate a Christmas-like tradition) until about the 15th or 16 or January. They celebrate Christmas on January 7th and then Epiphany 12 days later. . .things move fast, fast, fast after that! Good luck and hang in there. It will all work out!

Carey and Norman said...

Even though the wait is hard, it allows us to be matched at the perfect time with our child. Once you are on the completed side of your adoption, you'll see how God orchestrated the entire adoption to work out perfectly. However, it doesn't make the wait easier, so my heart is with you! We'll pray that you receive the call very soon!

Troy and Rachel said...

Waiting is def. the pits. Hang in there! Your fun filled day sounds like just what you needed. Praying your husbands ribs heal soon. Troy did the same thing on a 4-wheeler and was miserable. Tell him not to sneeze (if he hasn't already)! Keep your chin up about the adoption. It will happen and God will be in control.

Our Family said...

Hi Joanne,

I stumbled upon your blog so I thought I'd leave you a note. What you (and Tom Petty) said about waiting is so true. It is very hard. Just keep thinking that they are working to find the perfect daughter for you! All of the waiting will be worth it when you meet your daughter for the first time!
Good luck.
Adrian
http://2008russia.blogspot.com

Pat said...

Well it sure would have been to get that call this year, but what a way to start off the New Year by getting a phone call to get your little girl. I'm not in your shoes and I can't even imagine what the waiting is like for you and Roger. But hang in there and that call will come soon. Stay busy and keep your spirits up!

Love ya, your sis

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

Yes, the waiting IS hard, but don't lose hope. Your perfect daughter will be waiting for you and you will find her. Last Christmas, I was so sad about not having our little girl with us or even knowing who she was. This year our family is complete and she was sooo worth the wait. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

hmm, I had no clue what you were talking about in the email when u said Uncle Rogers ribs hurt. Sorry. Matt was tinkering with my pc so I did not have my links and couldn't check ur blog.
First, I'm glad you guys got away for a few days. Second, I'm so sorry about Ro's ribs..ouch!! Hope he's feeling better, and third. I DO know what it's like to wait for something forever so I can understand what you are going trough. Perhaps searching other options and prove fruitful. I know we have plenty of kids here who needs great homes too,a nd despite what your friend may have told you. It IS easy to get them, at little cost to you,and most of them are perfectly normal little kids. But you can only do what is in your heart, and just keep following it. There really is that pot of gold at that long rainbow.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that it is all worth the wait in the end. We just adopted our son in April from Vladivostok, Russia. The blessings of having him definately outweigh any of the things that we had to go through with the whole adoption process. One word of advice when you travel go through Seoul, South Korea. It makes travel so much easier.

Days of Parenthood